At some point, after driving for many years, statistics show that you are more than likely to be involved in a motor vehicle crash. Whether its a minor fender bender or major impact, injuries can be debilitating.
Even if the damage to your vehicle is minor, you must remember that any vehicle that collides into another may cause serious damage to the musculoskeletal system. Most passenger vehicle weigh in excess of 1 ton (that is one thousand pounds). Energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred (Newton's Law of Physics). Most energy transferred is to the center of gravity which in this case, is you, the driver or passenger.
Whether the impact is large or small, we recommend to get examined right away at a hospital emergency room or a physician who has experience with acute musculoskeletal trauma.If you choose a hopsital ER, your vitals will be assessed, x-rays may or may not be taken and a CT scan may or may not be ordered. Pain medication and anti-inflammartories may be prescribed. Most of the time, the ER doctors will not order physical therapy, but may suggest you see a specialist.
Our physicians at Advanced Physical Medicine Centers specialize in motor vehicle-related injuries. Whether you have a referral or not, we will work with you, the insurance company and your attorney to make sure your treatment is tailored to your presenting condition. There are several common conditions you may be diagnosed with including:
1. Whiplash (the most common injury; AKA; Cervical Sprain/Strain
2. Thoracic Strain (mid back)
3. Lumbar Strain (lower back)
4. Disc Syndromes (AKA; slipped discs)
5. Contusions (blunt trauma)
7. Fractures and Dislocations
8. Rotator Cuff Injuries (shoulder)
9. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (hand and wrist)
10. Tendonitis (inflammation of the tendons)
11. Foot and Ankle Sprains/Strains
12. Mensicus and ACL/PCL Injuries (knee)
13. Spinal Injury (facet syndromes)
14. Small Joint Injury (elbow, fingers)
If you or a loved one was involved in a motor vehicle crash, whether big or small, contact us at APM and let us assist you in all your rehabilitation needs. Our staff includes doctors and therapists with over 16 years of clinical experience. At APM, your health is handmade.